[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Feb 13 13:04:34 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 1:57 PM Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> But NAT for IP appeared *after* the concerns appeared. So I think Scott's
> note
> about Frank Skolensky's extrapolations was the correct answer to Dave
> Taht's
> question. (In my early IETF meetings I often had Sunday breakfast with
> Frank,

Yes.  NAT was a product of the ROAD (Routing and Addressing) working group
as was CIDR.

As I recall, NAT was Van Jacobson's idea and CIDR, I think, was Jeff
Mogul's idea.  (Less sure re: CIDR --
I do remember a talk by Van).

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and