[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:42:56 PST 2019

Jack,

> When NAT appeared, IMHO it took a lot of pressure off the address space,
> since the millions of small LANs could then share the same reserved
> address spaces like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x (in memory of the ARPANET
> which had been retired).

But NAT for IP appeared *after* the concerns appeared. So I think Scott's note
about Frank Skolensky's extrapolations was the correct answer to Dave Taht's
question. (In my early IETF meetings I often had Sunday breakfast with Frank,
since we were both early risers. But that was already into the 1990s.)

BTW, NAT haters appeared as soon as NAT appeared.

NAT for non-IP was around much earlier. DECnet "hidden areas" were a
form of NAT, and at CERN we NATted a home-built network in the early
1980s since it had (iirc) 6-bit host addresses. It was that experience
that made me a NAT hater for evermore.

Regards
   Brian