[ih] internet-future mailing list ?

Ofer Inbar via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Mon Dec 16 13:26:00 PST 2019

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 01:15:24PM -0800,
Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> From that application-centric point of view things like "end to end
> principle" become merely a disposable detail of inner plumbing.  Does it
> really matter to Twitter users whether the underlying machinery is
> elegant and free of media transitions and proxies?

While it's a reasonable point to illustrate what you meant, I don't
think that's a productive way to look at it from an engineering point
of view.  The goal of things like the end to end principle isn't user
interface, it's to create an environment conducive to new things
happening.  It does really matter to twitter users whether twitter
ever existed at all, and twitter would not have been created without
the existence of the web, so the fact that the early Internet was an
environment where something like the web could come from the sidelines
and flourish without that being the plan, is significant.  Is the
Internet of today creating obstacles, or failing to create opportunity,
for things none of us have thought of or tried yet, but which may make
a huge difference to today's twitter users in the future?  Does the
end to end principle serve that goal?  That's a better way to look at it.
  -- Cos