[ih] Early Internet history

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Sat Jul 7 01:32:18 PDT 2018

 Dr Eberhard W Lisse writes:

 > And,
 >
 > UNDO and MCVAX were both on EARN/BITNET, though I don't remember
 > if they routed any UUCP traffic over BITNET.

The mcvax started out as the central eunet uucp node. When SARA
(the center which gave the Amsterdam Universities & MC (now CWI) the
bulk computer services) got connected to BITNET we managed to get
a leaf node connection (via a 9600 B/s serial line but that is
another story).  So this "speed" is why we never routed uucp traffic
over BITNET.  Too slow. It was probably not allowed to do anyway.
As far as I remember, it ran a unix version (Purdue?) of the software.
We already had fixed lines to various places which where.

As an experiment, Piet once had an uumap type routing database for
an the next day not only the serial line but also the poor VAX 750
was saturated. The load was 150 or so, so the experiment was ended
quickly. (After we mentioned to login, that was a challenge on
itself).

	jaap (once ..|mcvax!jaap)