[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jul 5 16:48:35 PDT 2018

John.  I semi beg to differ. I think Dan got the basics right.  I lived those same times and yes management did not look at everything I did.  But they owned the system, the terminals, the media, even the printer paper/consumables.  While we had a lot of latitude what we were doing had to at least consider the corporate values/plans/goals.  Yes we all had what were refered to as G-jobs on the side.  I would even say Tektronix and HP were noted for encouraging them (Woz is said to have built the prototype Apple 1 on his bench at HP as an example).

But I really could not have done much serious computing in those days with using equipment and software licensed by my employer. I would not haven been able to afford it otherwise and I was getting paid to do it.  That was Dans observation which I think is spot on.   I don’t think most  people in those days were really in a much different position.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.