[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 4 12:37:43 PDT 2018

On 7/4/2018 9:46 AM, Eric Gade wrote:
> No bait here, just a poor choice of words. I meant only the end of the
> period where people who had worked on ARPA projects had easy access to
> funding for longer (than present) durations. I meant nothing negative
> about the actual people, but was referecing the end of the funding
> environment in which they were allowed to work. I suspect (and could be
> very wrong) that it's not a coincidence that the sweetheart deal for
> PARC came soon after the passage of the Mansfield amendments. In that
> sense it was something of a "last gasp" in that computing research would
> not be funded again in the same way.
>
> ARPA people have, of course, done interesting and important work since
> that time, and I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I do, however, wonder what
> would have emerged if the funding culture had persisted.

Eric,

Many thanks for the clarification.  Now I can see the substance you
intended.  It seems a clear point, though doesn't match my own recollection.

My initial view was from a couple levels below those getting the funding
and doing the research. (I can't comment on any possible effect of the
Mansfield project.)

My view is that some folk from the Arpa community got enticed by an
extremely interesting offer to create and work at PARC, but that the
ARPA funding and effort in digital communications continued in parallel
for quite awhile. At some point this could be classed as a transition to
Internet work, but in terms of the point you are making, I'd class that
as the same community working in relatively the same space.

Certainly there was continuing IMP and TIP and protocol working going
through the 70s. And I was part of an ARPA funded arpanet-email-for-unix
effort in the latter 70s, by way of offering a particularly mundane example.

There was the Arpa-to-NSF funding transition for operational issues, but
I don't know any of the details. (Others here, of course, do.)  What I
was told that Arpa finally noted that it didn't have a mandate to do
straight operations and its research demonstration project -- the basic
Arpanet -- was itself no longer research. This made so much obvious
sense, in terms of Arpa's mission, that I'd never have thought other
forces were a concern.

Note also that through at least the 70s, Arpa did related projects
besides the Internet development, namely packet radio and packet
satellite.  All of this suggests continued, robust funding from Arpa for
work in the same technical space.

d/
--
Dave Crocker