[ih] .UK vs .GB

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Apr 16 05:19:09 PDT 2018

John Demco <demco at webnames.ca> wrote:

> Steve Kille’s X.400 software was called PP, if I recall correctly.

Our central mail relay at Cambridge is still called ppsw (short for PP
switch) even though it stopped running PP in about 1997. I have a scruffy
old ring binder on a shelf above my desk labelled "PP 5.0" in large clear
handwriting. I keep it to scare off marauding old postmasters.

Our version of the 1990 .cs snafu came a few years earlier - our computer
science department is cl.cam.ac.uk and .cl was created in 1987.

There's a glorious tutorial from the late days of multiprotocol networking
"Hints for getting mail through various gateways to and from JANET"
https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/reference/net-directory/documents/JANET-Mail-Gateways.ps
(PDF version at http://dotat.at/tmp/JANET-Mail-Gateways.pdf)

Tony.
the market alone does not distribute wealth or income fairly