[ih] .UK vs .GB

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:44:13 PDT 2018

Sorry one more message about this, as I've dug up an old copy of my
dissertation (which in part addresses this issue). In 1984 when the DNS RFC
was being drafted (I was mistaken it was the summer of 1984 not 1985), the
proposal to use the ISO-3166 list for ccTLDs came pretty late in the game.
There are limited records of discussions about this outside of draft RFCs
kept by Feinler and emails that appear on the Namedroppers list.

As I said previously, they were already using .UK as their top-level in the
NRS hierarchy in the UK. The document record shows that even as the DNS
went into use, there was a lot of pressure for the Joint Network Team to
revise how they structured their names, not just because of the UK/GB
issue, but also because of the reversal of the names (hence the 1990 fiasco
of adding Czech). The JNT had very clear reasons for not making the
changes: they did not think the DNS would be the world standard, and had
invested both time and money in making ISO standards a reality. They did
not want to spend the money or time on making such changes to the NRS just
for DNS purposes, when they believed a new international standard was
inevitable and would require yet more changes. The X.400/X.500 systems were
simply going to replace everything anyway, so the wisdom went.

--
Eric