[ih] .UK vs .GB

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:24:03 PDT 2018

The NIC collection at CHM has info about this. The draft RFCs where Postel
first proposed TLDs (between Jan and May 85 I believe) all proposed UK as
examples. Discussion on the "Namedroppers" list at the time made it pretty
clear why: the UCL nodes used the NRS (Name Recocognition Scheme) and
already had UK at the top level (though reversed)