[ih] Autodin II

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Jan 20 09:35:42 PST 2017

AUTODIN II was a planned replacement for AUTODIN - the DoD message
switching system.

As a result of some well-played techno-politics, a "bakeoff" was held
between ARPANET technology and the technology proposed for AUTODIN II,
leading to award of the contracts for the Defense Data Network (the
MILNET, split off from the ARPANET, and several separate classified
networks).  AUTODIN II was cancelled.

There are others on the list who were part of this and can probably
supply some details.

Miles Fidelman

On 1/20/17 10:01 AM, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> I'm currently retyping the Wingfield 1978/79 TCP/IP implementation (written for Unix V6/V7, in C); the relevant spec appears to be IEN54 & 55
>
> This TCP/IP stack has a significant portion of code dealing with security, precedence and user groups (TCC's). From the code it seems that this is related to facilities offered by the AUTODIN II network. IEN55 mentions in its history section that some work on TCP2 was done for AUTODIN II in 1976.
>
> A quick glance at Google results suggests that AUTODIN II was a failing project, cancelled in 1982. However, it must have been seen as viable and relevant in the '76-'79 timeframe.
>
> What is the connection between TCP/IP work in the 70's and Autodin II? If it has been discussed before, I would much appreciate a link.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list