[ih] Autodin II

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Fri Jan 20 07:01:53 PST 2017

I'm currently retyping the Wingfield 1978/79 TCP/IP implementation (written for Unix V6/V7, in C); the relevant spec appears to be IEN54 & 55

This TCP/IP stack has a significant portion of code dealing with security, precedence and user groups (TCC's). From the code it seems that this is related to facilities offered by the AUTODIN II network. IEN55 mentions in its history section that some work on TCP2 was done for AUTODIN II in 1976.

A quick glance at Google results suggests that AUTODIN II was a failing project, cancelled in 1982. However, it must have been seen as viable and relevant in the '76-'79 timeframe.

What is the connection between TCP/IP work in the 70's and Autodin II? If it has been discussed before, I would much appreciate a link.

Thanks,

Paul