[ih] Autodin II

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 12:10:39 PST 2017

AUTODIN II was the typical big DOD project of the 70s that made beltway bandits like CSC, Booz-Allen, SDC, etc. very happy. It was suppose to be a multi-level secure network. Several teams bid on the network. (You will laugh). The bid was won by Western Union, CSC, and Aero Ford. On the day it was awarded I predicted it would fail. It quickly became a morass of cost overruns and overly complex specs. At one point we pointed out to the Contracting Officer that it would be cheaper to build a network for each security domain than building AUTODIN II.  By that time, it was clearly dead in the water and dying. They did it a favor killing it.

John