[ih] more bounce management, was update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Aug 27 14:22:20 PDT 2016

On 8/27/16 4:41 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> In fact, the impact of DMARC on IETF email lists, and on IETF
>> communications, and the (slow) response of the community in responding,
>> might make a particularly interesting case study.  As might the more
>> general impact and response of the community to DMARC.
> The IETF has been remarkably slow even to notice DMARC. Yahoo and AOL
> turned on DMARC policies for their freemail acounts in April and May
> 2014, while it only seems to have become an issue in the IETF a couple
> of months ago.
>
> Other lists noticed in about 30 seconds.  I sure did, for all the
> Yahoo and AOL users on the non-technical lists I host, which is why I
> came up with a mostly-transparent name rewriting hack. The mailman
> developers came up with some rather ugly ones: rejecting addresses
> with DMARC policies, wrapping messages like one-message digests, and
> the dread putting the list's address on the From: line.
>
> I suppose this means there aren't a lot of AOL and Yahoo users on IETF
> lists.  The DMARC problem became more apparently as corporate mail
> systems started to apply DMARC policies.
>
> Here's a wiki page that collects all of the anti-DMARC techniques I'm
> aware of.  If you look at its history, you can see it was mostly
> written in 2014 with a few twiddles this year.
>
> http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Mitigating_DMARC_damage_to_third_party_mail

Actually the list kind of noticed.  I seem to remember a short exchange
with Vint Cerf about his emails not getting through, or mail not getting
to him, as well as some broader discussion on the list when mail first
started disappearing into a black hole.  If you happen to remember the
date when p=reject first showed up bigtime, I could probably find those
exchanges.

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra