[ih] update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Aug 26 14:33:25 PDT 2016

For what it's worth, I've used Sympa as my go-to list manager. It's just
a little more cumbersome to set up and administer - but a lot more
functional than Mailman, particularly when running multiple lists.  Also
FOSS, but with folks who are actually paid to maintain, update, and
support it (out of INRIA, I believe - basically funded to support the
French research community).  It had a work-around for DMARC within a few
days (thanks Steve!) while it took quite a bit longer for a patch to
show up for Mailman.

Miles

On 8/26/16 4:32 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 8/26/2016 1:28 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>> The issue appears to be that one subscriber to this list was using a
>>> commercial service that automates list removal.
>> That's sort of the problem.  The rest of it is that the address was at
>> a domain that was abandoned years ago, and the entire domain is now a
>> spamtrap.  The address bounced for quite a while, so normal list
>> bounce processing would have removed it.
>>
>> If this list is like many other old mailman lists, it does no bounce
>> pruning at all, with predictably unfortunate results.
> We do use bounce processing, FWIW. It simply failed to work for this
> address, for whatever reason.
>
> More modern Mailman software may be better at dealing with cases that
> our version fails on.
>
> Joe
>
> _______
> internet-history mailing list