[ih] No, really, I want to stay subscribed

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Aug 23 21:49:49 PDT 2016

Well, just got another one, timestamped 9:12

And where the earlier ones asked me to confirm my unsubscribe request,
this one says that it's forwarded it to the admin.

And no, I did not send the original request - the From: line must be
forged.  But... looking at the headers, it looks like it REALLY came from:

from [unsubscribe] (unknown [10.10.31.123]) by
smtp01.vaderetro-safeunsubscribe.com (Postfix) with SMTP id ED4591BF7CB
for <internet-history-request at postel.org>; Wed, 24 Aug 2016 03:11:49
+0200 (CEST)

So who the hell is vaderetro-safeunsubscribe.com, and why is it trying
to unsubscribe people from internet-history?

Miles Fidelman

On 8/23/16 8:43 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
> Hi, all,
>

> On 8/23/2016 4:15 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

>> Or to just save incoming messages to  -request, so one can look at the
>> headers.
> The header indicates it's coming from the mailman system. I.e., these
> aren't forged; they're unsub requests.
>
>>> If only there were programmers around to make this happen....
>>>
>> Not even - just a sysadmin who can update the alias for -request, to add
>> an actual mailbox.
>>
>> Who's listmaster for ih anyway?
> I am.
>
> I did some digging on this issue and the suggestion is to disable user
> unsubscribe completely (i.e., requires admin OK). Since I don't track
> those mails, it may be more difficult to get off the list now, but at
> least the stream of unsubs should calm down.
>
> Please let me know if you see further unsub requests.
>
> Joe

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra