[ih] the state of protocol R&D?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat May 24 17:33:47 PDT 2014

Craig,

Thanks!  Good to hear that things are still going on, if not as visibly
as in the past.  Are there any good email lists or blogs where people
discuss such things on an ongoing basis?

At least, to a degree, I guess I'm bemoaning what I see as a general
shift in thinking - away from "let's solve problem <x> with a new
protocol" and towards "let's build a new platform, with an exposed
API."  It seems to be shaping the approaches people take to designing
distributed system, as well as the components and tools available for
doing so.

Just a few years ago, I was able to find funding for some work on
protocols for distributed planning and collaboration (first AFRL, then
CECOM) - but it seems like a lot of the funding has shifted elsewhere
(mostly cyber security), and, things have become, as you put it,
"diffuse."  I worry more than a little that knowledge and approaches to
things are starting to get lost - in part because the work isn't more
visible.

Miles