[ih] the state of protocol R&D?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat May 24 19:18:40 PDT 2014

On 5/24/2014 5:24 PM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> There's is a protocol R&D community.  Mostly academic folks (and the list
> of universities is long).  A few industry folks (BBN has about 100 folks
> doing networking research, many of them protocol work; ISI has, I think,
> about 35; IBM has some; Google has a few; Telefonica has some).
>
> In terms of where folks publish -- the venues have been diffuse.  SIGCOMM
> and its workshops are the best starting point, but some of the best
> protocol research discussions I've seen over the past 5 years or so have
> been at Dagstuhl and Monte Verita and NSF program meetings (cf. the next
> generation Internet meetings).

Hmmm.  Should the IRTF attempt a kind of open-source listing of places
and activities that could be classed as 'networking research'?

For new protocols, I've found it helpful to have an open-to-anyone
registry.  Claim that you support the protocol and you get listed.  (cf,
http://dkim.org/deploy).  The registry does not vet claimants; just
lists them.  This gives interested parties a place for finding
implementations or consultant.

It probably would be easy and probably would be helpful, for irtf.org to
set up something similar, for research, such as a "Community Research
Activities" trac wiki.

d/
--
Dave Crocker