[ih] the state of protocol R&D?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sat May 24 17:24:08 PDT 2014

Hi Miles:

There's is a protocol R&D community.  Mostly academic folks (and the list
of universities is long).  A few industry folks (BBN has about 100 folks
doing networking research, many of them protocol work; ISI has, I think,
about 35; IBM has some; Google has a few; Telefonica has some).

In terms of where folks publish -- the venues have been diffuse.  SIGCOMM
and its workshops are the best starting point, but some of the best
protocol research discussions I've seen over the past 5 years or so have
been at Dagstuhl and Monte Verita and NSF program meetings (cf. the next
generation Internet meetings).

Thanks!

Craig

> Which leads me to wonder - is there much of a protocol r&d community
> left - academic or otherwise?  Or funders?  And if so, where do folks
> "congregate?"  For programming languages, there's
> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/, conferences like OOPSLA, and there
> seems to be a steady stream of academic papers.  Is there anything left
> like that for protocol R&D?
>
> Miles Fidelman

> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com
Phone: +1 517 324 3425