[ih] When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun May 18 14:33:57 PDT 2014

Yes, we have discussed this on this list before.  And the memory in
our group is fuzzy or no one has delved into their attic.

But we put the first Unix on a PDP-11/45 on the Net with NCP in the
summer of 1975 and then immediately started work on TCP.  We were
working for DCA and JTSA (remember them).  As I said, we were on our
second implementation by 77 or so and were doing our 3rd by 1978 when
I returned from Houston.  I forget when we took delivery of our 11/70
but it was certainly about this time.

DARPA may not have known about it, but I doubt that.  I remember
Grossman returning from TCP meetings in Cambridge where there had
been long discussions about whether things in the spec could work and
it turned out we were further along on implementation than BBN was.

One of these days, I may get a chance to dig into Grossman's attic.  ;-)

Take care,
John