[ih] When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun May 18 14:10:49 PDT 2014

Hi John,

Just FYI, the Unix TCP listing that survives implemented TCP version 4 and
is dated March 30, 1979.   It is however a descendant of earlier versions
that started with TCP 2.5.

As far as I know, there were no other Unix TCPs at the time - mid 1977.
At least neither BBN nor (D)ARPA knew of any (and I'd expect Vint would
have known).   We needed a TCP for a Unix system as a part of another ARPA
project, so I got the task to take Jim Mathis' existing LSI-11 TCP code and
tweak it as needed to get a TCP functional on Unix on a PDP-11/40 for that
project to use.   That ended up involving mostly kernel hacking to get the
right primitives into Unix and creating interfaces for user processes.   It
was never intended to be a general purpose Unix implementation, and the
design choices necessary to get everything into a PDP-11/40 were not what
anyone would want for a more capable computer, so other implementations
were subsequently started (funded) by DARPA and DCEC at BBN to create "from
scratch" general purpose TCPs for PDP11/45 and /70 Unix systems (Rob
Gurwitz, Al Nemeth, Mike Wingfield and others I can't remember...).

My yellowing lab notebook saved with the listing contains diary entries,
e.g., July 27, 1977: "got TCP11 Unix version to assemble", and September
16, 1977: "TCP and Al Spector's TCP can talk fine" (Al was using Mathis'
TCP on an LSI-11 communicating with the Unix system).  Most of the
intervening entries had to do with recovering from disk crashes and other
such annoyances.  By 1979 the TCP working group had gotten to the TCP4
stage and I modified the original code as needed along the way as we made
changes to get from 2.5 to 2.5 plus epsilon to eventually 4 as captured by
the 1979 listing.

Fun times!

/Jack Haverty