[ih] Fwd: History of "accounts"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 11:08:54 PST 2014

Hi,

I had a look at Wilkes' 1968 book "Time-Sharing Computer Systems".
He describes the login procedure of CTSS as the exemplar. He also
cites a reference giving 11/1961 as the date of the first running
version of CTSS (on a 709). Since Wilkes would certainly have claimed
the idea of a login account for his own lab if he could have plausibly
done so, I assume that CTSS was the true origin.

BTW I also noticed that he credits Roger Needham with the idea
of storing only encrypted passwords on the host, using an unspecified
hard-to-decrypt algorithm.

   Brian