[ih] Fwd: [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jul 30 14:14:32 PDT 2013

At 4:58 PM -0400 7/30/13, John Day wrote:
>At 4:54 PM -0400 7/30/13, Vint Cerf wrote:
>>telenet led he development of x.25 (Larry Roberts and Barry
>>Wessler) along with the British Post Office, the French Reseau
>>Communication par Paquet from CNET (Remi Despres) and Dave(?)
>>Horton of DATAPAC in Canada.
>
>Right, Dave Horton.  I was trying to remember that name.

I should explain.  DATAPAC's coming out was at ICCC76 in Toronto. We
were whisked across the street from the Royal York Hotel (it may have
been a couple of blocks) for fancy whiz-bang film, all out demo of
DATAPAC.  But at the conference, I remember Horton giving a talk on
Datapac and someone asking him what he would think of people
marketing PADs (X.25 Terminal Concentrators).  (It is important to
understand that in CCITT think the PAD had been defined to be part of
the network rather than as a limited function host and not "part of
the network."  It was clear that they were using the phone company
beads-on-a-string model to define markets.)  Horton in a moment of
candor replied emphatically, "Not Very Much!"

;-)