[ih] Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Sat Jan 5 21:21:15 PST 2013

Vint,
   I agree very much about "However, the writer does fail to recognize
..."  When I read the article, it seemed obvious that (a) the writer was
failing to recognize *lots* of other things and (b) that (and maybe this
is just the way that I read it) that the writer was writing as though it
was obvious to his readers that he was doing so.  This is what I meant
by myopia.
   One thing that makes this "Internet history" list interesting to me
is the richness of all these different myopic stories.

   But, as I say, I had never heard of John Cramer.  When I read his
note, my first reaction was to be miffed that while he was at UW
Physics, he had not recognized the efforts of us at UW Computer Science
to secure an ARPAnet connection for UW.
   But I took his "How Al Gore and I Invented the Internet" to be
obvious tongue-firmly-in-cheek humor and read on.

   I actually found his story about the little 1984 committee charming.
   He made no pretense to having contributed anything to the technology
or the building of the Internet.  But if he played even a very small
part in convincing the NSF that there needed to be a network adequate
for moving gigabyte files between the small number of supercomputer
centers and the much larger number of research universities where the
users of those centers were, I'd take that as an interesting story.

   I very much agree with your positive comments about CSNET, the fall
1986 hearings, and the NREN efforts.
   But (and here I'm just showing my ignorance) I had not previously
heard Cramer's story about a science user pressing in 1984 for effective
remote access to the supercomputers (implicitly from all the major
research universities) as being essential.

   Regards,
	-- Guy