[ih] Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 21:11:05 PST 2013

<joke>
In a Digital World, how much credit you can give to an "Analog" publication
?
</joke>

I remember that on the late 80's when we were working on getting Argentina
connected to some research network, it became USG policy to promote only
connections the the Internet and NSF was generous enough to pay for a
missing link to interconnect a satellite link drop we had in the
Argentinean UN Permanent Mission with a router port in SURANet thatnks to
Glenn Ricart's and the UMD folks that offered us a "free" port.

We (not all of us, many, including myself strongly believed that the future
was to being part of Internet) had a local discussion about if connecting
to Bitnet, or CSNet, etc. Stephen Wolf from NSF at that time helped settle
the "dispute" making it clear that the NSF will sponsor our connection *if
and only if* it was to the Internet.

This was before NSF (Steve Goldstein) made the deal with Sprint for ICM
(International Connections Manager.)

My .02

-J