[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 70, Issue 5

Bob Braden braden at isi.edu
Sun Jan 6 14:19:14 PST 2013

On 1/5/2013 8:30 PM,Louis Mamakos wrote:
> There were some supercomputer/HPC networks running around at the time, USAN ("University Satellite Network" or something) was one I remember, and there was a DoE network, I think, that was DECnet based.  And the DECnet based NASA SPAN network, though Milo was at work with the IP-based NSN, too.
A DoE lab (I forget whether it was LBNL or LLNL) came up with their own
solution to the imaginary
problem "TCP/IP is too slow for supercomputer data transfe"  with their
MFENET
(pronounced "muff-ee-net") protocol suite   I was a member of an
Internet-centric design review team,
and we gleefully tore apart their protocol suite. Shortly afterwards,
DoE cancelled the MFENET
project and wiped up the blood from the floor. It was fun...

Bob Braden