[ih] Domains and Networks (was Re: The story of BGP?)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Feb 8 05:17:05 PST 2013

Yes, both intra-domain and inter-domain routing as well as the
detailed structure of the network layer, i.e. dividing it into 3
sublayers, were developed in OSI.

This is what lead to the idea of using link state locally (for
networks) and distance vector globally (for internets).  There was a
good debate on intra-domain routing between a proposal by Dave
Piscatello and Dave Oran.  They ended up choosing Oran's, which
became IS-IS.  Piscatello's proposal had some interesting properties.