[ih] Domains and Networks (was Re: The story of BGP?)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Feb 8 03:51:08 PST 2013

Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon at cox.net> wrote:
> On 2/7/2013 12:23 PM, Justine Sherry wrote:
>
> > I was in the graduate networking class yesterday at Berkeley and we
> > were discussing the origin of BGP for Interdomain routing, and we
>
> That introduction clangs.  We all know that I have no cachet nor credential to
> offer in this place, but in an earlier life had occasional opportunities to
> ask people to us terms correctly lest the confuse or signal confusion.
>
> At that time and place routing happened between networks, oblivious to the
> presence or absence (or even existence in thing like IPX networks) of domain
> boundaries.  I don't think even the use of IP forces the existence of a domain
> structure.

I gather from RFC 1069 that the term "inter-domain routing" comes from the
OSI protocols. It says ``... the concept of "routing domains" as used in
ANSI and ISO.  This concept is similar to, but not identical with, the
concept of "Autonomous System" used in the Internet.''

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.