[ih] Domains and Networks (was Re: The story of BGP?)

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Fri Feb 8 13:43:28 PST 2013

On 2/8/2013 7:17 AM, John Day wrote:
> Yes, both intra-domain and inter-domain routing as well as the detailed
> structure of the network layer, i.e. dividing it into 3 sublayers, were
> developed in OSI.
>
> This is what lead to the idea of using link state locally (for networks)
> and distance vector globally (for internets).  There was a good debate
> on intra-domain routing between a proposal by Dave Piscatello and Dave
> Oran.  They ended up choosing Oran's, which became IS-IS.  Piscatello's
> proposal had some interesting properties.

I guess I never got into those parts of the world (ANSI and OSI).

A shame that technical folks re-use words and essentially  destroy their
meanings for people not confined to one clique.

In my admin tole I was constantly having to deal with people who could
not separate IP addressing from domain addressing.

A trivial nit, but it worth raising because I was reminded that the
world was bigger than my clique.

>> f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
>> Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at
>> first.
>> Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate
>> or good,
>> occasionally poor at first.

I'll work on it.
--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: