[ih] Domains and Networks (was Re: The story of BGP?)

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Feb 7 16:42:55 PST 2013

On 2/7/2013 12:23 PM, Justine Sherry wrote:

> I was in the graduate networking class yesterday at Berkeley and we
> were discussing the origin of BGP for Interdomain routing, and we

That introduction clangs.  We all know that I have no cachet nor
credential to offer in this place, but in an earlier life had occasional
opportunities to ask people to us terms correctly lest the confuse or
signal confusion.

At that time and place routing happened between networks, oblivious to
the presence or absence (or even existence in thing like IPX networks)
of domain boundaries.  I don't think even the use of IP forces the
existence of a domain structure.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: