[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat Apr 13 18:15:15 PDT 2013

On 4/13/2013 5:15 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> which does bring this to mind:
> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1993-11-09/

which, in turn, forces me to relate the following bit of Arpanet history...

At UCLA, the local computer science dept. operating system was
home-grown and ran on an XDS Sigma-7.  In capabilities it was roughly
competitive with BBN's Tenex.  Developed by Vint Cerf, Jon Postel, my
brother Steve and some others.  They called it the Sigma Executive.
When I started working at the department, one of my jobs was to assemble
and develop documentation for users.

You won't be surprised that the short name for the o/s was the SEX
system.  Nor that the user guide was called the SEX Manual.

But unlike BBN, the UCLA system was a one-off.  No one else ran it, and
it was memory-starved.  Eventually, the guys located some additional,
used memory for a good price and lobbied Arpa for the funds to buy it.
Arpa saw that the o/s was a dead end and said we should instead switch
over to a terminal access system for using computation over the Arpanet.

The system we finally got was a PDP-11 running Unix.

So they took our SEX away and made us Unix.

The original root password was, inevitably, eunuchs.

d/

--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking