[ih] Email and address books

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu May 24 00:28:10 PDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 5:03 AM, Alan Maitland wrote:
> Not entirely sure about that.  If memory serves there were HP Office
> applications which ran on 8086 PCs (HP150) that interfaced to HP Desk
> (a proprietary email solution which ran on HP3000 systems since the
> early 1980s), which may have contained a rudimentary address book, if
> my memory still serves.

if we're going there, then dec all-in-one may also qualify. (note, i'm
not talking about vaxmail.)

> Not sure if that counts for this discussion and I'm guessing there was
> probably some equivalent in the DEC and IBM environments, though I
> don't absolutely know that to be true.  If my memory is correct, these
> things were around in the circa 1986 timeframe, so perhaps they
> predated Eudora.

i think the dec all-in-fun product predates eudora but it required major
weeping and wailing in that era to get it to gateway anything to/from
the internet. so it's not in my view part of "internet" history even
though it's part of "email" history.

paul