[ih] Email and address books

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu May 24 01:29:48 PDT 2012

I worked for the ALL-IN-1 development team in the mid-80s.

DEC (sorry.. DIGITAL) were /very/ particular about spelling and
capitalisation. I think I still have a poster somewhere showing all the
'incorrect' versions, the 'correct' one, and the slogan "ALL-IN-1 ---
it's number one!"

And sending email to and from the wider Internet was actually easier
than Paul remembers.

There were various gateways between Message Router (the email backend of
ALL-IN-1) and the outside one. The one I worked on was MRX-400 which did
exactly what you might imagine from the name.

But what I uses was am ALL-IN-1 feature that sent VAXmail from inside
ALL-IN-1 (my memory is failing as to exactly how, but I remember hacking
something in the DCL code that actually implemented it. I seem to recall
that it may have been prefixing the address with '_'

So to email the Internet from ALL-IN-1 was as "simple" as sending it to

_RHEA::DECWRL::"user at host.tld"

You can see what the return address would have looked like to the
Internet user at

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/8.4.html#subj1.1

This shows a reply address that would translated to an internal Easynet
address in the form UNTADH::ROBERTS which typically would be
automatically forwarded into Message Router/ALL-IN-1 by the ALL-IN-1
user having done a $MAIL SET FORWARD.

:-)

Nigel (nigel at roberts.gg)