[ih] ARPANET/MILNET maps

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed May 16 13:53:09 PDT 2012

Noel,

In my 12 years at BBN I saw many, many such maps.  I can't find any of
them in my garage archaeology.

BBN, and I assume other contractors, had contracts which required
submission of many reports, including the QTRs - Quarterly Technical
Reports.  Some of these surely had maps in them.

There were other reports too.  E.G., there were a series of hefty
(200+ page) semiannual reports on topics like the "Arpanet Routing
Algorithm Improvements" which would be a treasure trove of information
on what was going on *inside* the network.  I have one of these - the
March 1982 report, which I had the job of editting/compiling.  It is
full of details about how the IMP code was structured, how IMPs
interacted, etc.   (No maps though.)  Anyone curious about what was
going on *inside* the network might find a lot of good historical info
here, almost as accurate as looking at the IMP code.   Possibly a
little easier to understand too - but just a little.

DTIC might be a source for such old reports.  The Arpanet ones I have
were under contract MDA90-78-C-0129 from Arpa Order 3491.

Google found that March 1982 report - see
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA121350   It's a 285 page
pdf scan of that report.  But it's the only report Google found in a
search of "MDA90-78-C-0129" - there were many more.  And there were a
number of different contracts involved over time as well, so there's
potentially a lot of reports buried somewhere.

If you can get the various reports which were submitted under that
contract, it would be a significant piece of Arpanet History.   There
were, just at BBN, a variety of such contracts covering different
Internet-related projects.  E.G., one of them covered a bunch of the
"core Internet" projects - gateways, satnet, wbnet, etc.  For several
years, I was the one who had to make sure the QTR got submitted
promptly.  The government wouldn't send us the check until they got
the report.  So I know there's a lot of stuff in the government
archives which would now be of historical interest.  Presumably other
contractors - e.g., SRI, ISI, etc etc. had to submit similar reports -
but I can't recall ever seeing any QTRs but our own!

These reports were all categorized on the DD1473 as
"Unclassified/Unlimited" distribution.  But most of what they contain
was never really "published" in the classic sense.

Perhaps someone has the stamina to dive into the government paper
bureaucracy and do some archaeology.   Their garage is *much* bigger
than mine.....

/Jack