[ih] ARPANET/MILNET maps

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed May 16 14:43:46 PDT 2012

Unfortunate detail -- I can tell you BBN does NOT have any more.

We kept all the maps until about the spring of 1990.  When the ARPANET
shutdown announcement was made, I contacted the project admin to get
copies for a commemorative issue of SIGCOMM Computer Communication review
and was told that they'd just moved offices and she'd been told just to
"toss the old stuff."  An internal appeal caused folks to dig copies out
of their desks (as I recall, Alex McKenzie had the largest pile), and I
put together the issue of CCR (Oct '90, with a few annotations from Vint)
and shipped the maps I had off to the Computer Museum, which happily accepted
them.

Note that Jul '76 is in that set -- is on page 88 of SIGCOMM CCR.
Oddly, ACM has chosen not to scan that portion of the issue (just checked
the DL and put in a request they fix that).  I'll see if my scanner is up
to the task.

Thanks!

Craig

>     > I got distracted to work on an ARPANET maps page (almost done, hope to
>     > have it out soon)
>
> OK, these are 'done':
>
>   http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/arpageo.html
>   http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/arpalog.html
>   http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/milnet.html
>
> Those URLs are just for 'temporary' use, for anyone here to quickly see; I
> have an overall 'ARPANET technical info' page which is done, and another page
> for packet formats which is almost done, and the whole works will be linked
> together, so just going to the main page will give you links to these other
> ones. (It was originally all one page, but it got so huge it was unwieldy, so
> I split it up.)
>

> Now, for the important bit:
>
> Although these pages contain roughly 45 maps between them, BBN of course did
> many, many more maps that I don't have here. (These are mostly just what I
> happened to have lying around in my paper files.) I have found images of some
> online, but the quality was so poor (usually due to small images) that I
> decided not to include them.
>
> If anyone has any that I am missing, I would be happy to receive images of
> them (although of course there's no urgency). I have pretty good coverage up
> to about 1977, so after that would be the most appreciated. At least 1000
> pixels, please, and scanned, preferably.
>
> I found several inside the covers of ARPANET/DDN directories and ARPANET
> Protocol Handbooks (don't worry if they are in colour, some of these were
> too, before I converted them to B+W), so there's one place to look. Also, my
> copy of "A History of the ARPANET: The First Decade" (BBN #4799) lists, on
> pg. B-1, a long list of logical maps - not all of which my copy (photocopied)
> includes. If anyone would like to scan the ones I am missing (March '72,
> November '74, June '75, July '76, January '77) that would also be useful.
>
> 	Noel
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com