[ih] ARPANET/MILNET maps

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed May 16 12:20:04 PDT 2012

    > I got distracted to work on an ARPANET maps page (almost done, hope to
    > have it out soon)

OK, these are 'done':

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/arpageo.html
  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/arpalog.html
  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/milnet.html

Those URLs are just for 'temporary' use, for anyone here to quickly see; I
have an overall 'ARPANET technical info' page which is done, and another page
for packet formats which is almost done, and the whole works will be linked
together, so just going to the main page will give you links to these other
ones. (It was originally all one page, but it got so huge it was unwieldy, so
I split it up.)

Now, for the important bit:

Although these pages contain roughly 45 maps between them, BBN of course did
many, many more maps that I don't have here. (These are mostly just what I
happened to have lying around in my paper files.) I have found images of some
online, but the quality was so poor (usually due to small images) that I
decided not to include them.

If anyone has any that I am missing, I would be happy to receive images of
them (although of course there's no urgency). I have pretty good coverage up
to about 1977, so after that would be the most appreciated. At least 1000
pixels, please, and scanned, preferably.

I found several inside the covers of ARPANET/DDN directories and ARPANET
Protocol Handbooks (don't worry if they are in colour, some of these were
too, before I converted them to B+W), so there's one place to look. Also, my
copy of "A History of the ARPANET: The First Decade" (BBN #4799) lists, on
pg. B-1, a long list of logical maps - not all of which my copy (photocopied)
includes. If anyone would like to scan the ones I am missing (March '72,
November '74, June '75, July '76, January '77) that would also be useful.

	Noel