[ih] Vint Cerf on BBC WS

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue May 15 13:11:58 PDT 2012

On 14 May 2012, at 15:23, Guy Almes <galmes at tamu.edu> wrote:

> The appearance near the end was more problematic.  Vint was enthusing about google's self-driving cars and similar projects.  But the context in which he was quoted (which I suspect he was not aware of) was all about an increasingly *insecure* net in which hackers could access your systems.  After discussing hackers accessing photos you think are private, the obvious implication is that they could hack into your self-driving car and other machine-to-machine applications.
> In that context, Vint's second quote (while quite correct and even insightful) came off as naïve.

I don't think apparent naïveté is the biggest problem: Vint makes it sound as if cars are not already online (they are) and the programme suggests these vulnerabilities don't yet exist (they do). Read these papers, if you haven't already. Astounding.

http://www.autosec.org/publications.html

Tony (apologies for lack of historical content).