[ih] Nomenclature

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sun May 13 12:02:09 PDT 2012

Another question from the "F" row.....

For background, met the Internet when Creighton joined MIDNet in the
early 1990s.

I am a nomenclature freak--trying always to discover "where on Earth did
THAT name come from?"

I am finding the recent burst of really interesting history recitations
fascinating but it stirred up some old questions.

It seems to me that most often when somebody talk about TCP or IP they
will say "TCP/IP" but I never hear "UDP/IP", "ICMP/IP", "BGP/IP.....

I stopped there to check my memory and found or remembered that most of
the protocols I know anything about (e. g. BGP) ride either TCP or UDP.

Which means I need to go understand the IP  - TCP split.  I thought I
knew that, but if I do, I have forgotten.

(Along the way, a new question for me to chase:  Does VoIP use IP?
TCP/IP?  UDP? (Wiki seems to say Yes, No, and No.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: