[ih] Header-people archive, etc

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon May 14 20:04:00 PDT 2012

I was troubled the by the difference between my recollection of the SMTP
history, and Craig's and Dave's, so I decided to research it a bit.

One of the things I wanted to look at to do this was the Header-People
archives, but at first glance, it seemed like they weren't available any more
(at least, a net search didn't turn them up). However, I (we?) had a stroke of
luck: the archives had been on an ITS machine at MIT, and I _had_ downloaded a
lot of that material (from www.its.os.org) before that site went offline some
years back.

So, they are now back online, here:

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/header/

at least, those from 6 November 1976 onwards. My collection starts with
archive #2 - I have files for #0 and #1, but the (minimal) contents are not
email archives - they may have been bashed during one of the many disk
insanities during the dying days of the ITS machines.

If anyone has the older archives (if they exist), could they _please_ let me
know, so I can bring the archive up to complete?

While I was in the process of doing that, I kind of got into the whole
'what's available online' thing, and so I now have a page:

  http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/archives.html

which lists the location of early/important mailing list archives (some are
in fairly obscure places).

   Noel