[ih] Header-people archive, etc

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue May 15 10:41:33 PDT 2012

> I was troubled the by the difference between my recollection of the SMTP
> history, and Craig's and Dave's, so I decided to research it a bit.

Quick comment, as this is a list devoted to history.  Differences between
recollections are common.  Also common are differences between written records
and recollections.  Figuring out which one is right (even between written
records and recollections, where you might think the contemporary written
records are more accurate) is not easy.  When writing up a technical history
of email for the IEEE Annals, I found the Rashomon effect was often present.

A simple example: some of the early ARPANET meetings kept minutes including
the list of attendees.  When interviewing folks for the article, I had people
tell me what they'd heard/observed/said at the meeting. Later I would
find they were not on the list of attendees. I would have to puzzle out if
(a) they were there and not recorded; or (b) they were confusing meetings
(often easy to do); or (c) their memory simply was playing tricks (e.g.
confusing what had been told to them by a meeting attendee with being
there).

Craig