[ih] Historical fiction

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri May 11 01:06:55 PDT 2012

Dave W and Alex M have done a good job of describing the early
conditions and activities surrounding the ARPANET deployment.

Ironically, Steve Crocker and I consulted with Jacobi Systems that did
bid on the project and ended up being among the top 4 bidders (I
think). We were lucky that we were also at UCLA where the Network
Measurement Center was to be established and got to work on ARPANET
despite losing the bid made by Jacobi!

I think the summary about the first 4 nodes is likely close to reality
although a more definitive answer might come from Larry Roberts who
ran the program at the time. Is he on this list?