[ih] Historical fiction

Sytel sytel at shaw.ca
Thu May 10 16:15:36 PDT 2012

I see. This is interesting, and definitely new; from the accounts I'd read
(admittedly, mostly from Kleinrock's perspective) I was under the impression
that the NMC was the "headquarters" for the early net; indeed, I might have
read somewhere that it wasn't even connected to BBN's offices until some
time after... I'm aware that most of the original team went their separate
ways after the ECCC in 1972, but up until then I'd been sort of picturing
Kleinrock's team as "running" the network from UCLA, with a lot of contact
with BBN, of course.
I'm sorry if there's some false assumptions in there... as mentioned, this
is something that's often hard to find out about in the more widely
available histories.
What would have been the main "home bases" in the 1969-1972 period, then,
and what would be happening at each one? Were they actually connected to the
network, or were they more working on things that would be used at nodes
that were connected?