[ih] Historical fiction

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:23:23 PDT 2012

BBN IMP was the fifth IMP on the network, in early 1970.  Before that
we did our IMP operations work and support of host work by phone and
by flying to the first four sites.  One or more people from BBN went
with each of the first four IMP deliveries to help the host people
get connected.  We made other trips to the first four host sites.  I
did at least one new software release by flying in turn to the U of
Utah, SRI, UCSB, and UCLA dropping off paper tapes as I went.  I have
the IMP program listing on the telephone stand in my apartment so I
could take phone calls from the host sites outside BBN east coast
work hours (day or night).  (I already mention Bob Kahn and I going
to UCLA once the first four nodes were connected to do tests which
revealed a problem (Bob anticipated) with packet reassembly lockup.)
Once we had the first cross-country line and the IMP at BBN, we could
do new releases over the net, monitor the IMPs remotely, etc.

I would say that the main "home bases" were ARPA which was calling
the top level shots, the IMP development team and Network Monitoring
Center at BBN, the Network Information Center at SRI, the Network
Measurement Center at UCLA, the highly distributed Network Working
Group and interface development people at all the host sites, and the
Air Force contracts office which acquired the wideband communications
circuits from ATT.  I believe Network Analysis Corporation did
repeated topological designs for ARPA leading up to acquisition on
additional wideband circuits.

The first four IMPs were delivered and a host connected to each in
approximately the last four months of 1969.  Then an IMP was
delivered approximately every month for quite a while (with BBN which
already had IMPs on site being the fifth site connected).

People were working on the net, writing RFCs to each other, creating
or revising various protocol specs, and when appropriate updating IMP
and/or host software.  Look the first few hundred RFCs for notices
anticipating or reporting on various network activities.

Dave

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537
home ph=508-888-7655; cell ph = 503-757-3137