[ih] Hesitating to disagree with one of the fath ers of the InternetŠ..

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu May 10 14:55:52 PDT 2012

A few things:

Bernie is right.  It is amazing how it pretty much just worked.
There were bugs.  And those cranky Tuesday mornings. (BBN tried out
new IMPsys' on Monday nights, if they were going to.)  The ARPANET
was primarily an operational network from the beginning.  It was not
a network for experimenting about networks, it was a network for
sharing resources, which we did a lot.  We were the largest user of
Rutherford in the UK, and were using a lot of other machines around
the network.

What I find amusing about Sytel's questions is how much he assumes
that things then were like they are now.  They were very different.

Noel is correct as far as I know.  The design and development of the
IMP subnet was pretty much a BBN affair.  Also the comments that NMC
(and BBN) was running most of the tests on the network.  Someone
should talk to Ari about that.  Most of the testing the hosts did
were on their own projects.

However the NWG meetings were a different matter.  They were loud,
boisterous, and cantankerous.  Made of the OS guys from the various
sites, who were lords in their own kingdoms (some would say prima
donnas), so sparks were to be expected.  I remember marvelling at how
often we were arguing about the same design but with different words.
The same term meaning slightly different things on different systems
but largely everyone had the same basic sense.  (Although one should
read Ritual for Catharisis #1).

But what I have found missing here is the excitement of the what was
going on outside the lab.  Of course BBN being a company was pretty
much immune to it.  Demonstrations against the Vietnam War.  John
Melvin's comment about ARPA, that "our money is only bloody on one
side."  Agitation about the military research on campuses.  We were
in the thick of it at Illinois more because of Illiac IV than the
ARPANET  but they were both ARPA projects.  We spent many hours
dealing with the demonstrators.  Our office was fire bombed (but it
didn't go off).  The thing was, we agreed with them that classified
research shouldn't be on campus.  The project was doing anything
classified, so what was the beef?  The story I tell of 4 of us
leaving Urbana to go Philadelphia to do some debugging, running into
the first metal detectors at the gate but as we had arrived in
Chicago, the flight attendant had said to me, "Are you guys in a
band?"  ;-)  (That wasn't the last time we were asked that question!)
All of this happening in the context of Kent State, Watergate, the
overthrow of Allende, Agnew resigning, etc.  It was a pretty wild and
wooly time.  I am amazed at all tthe stuff that was done.

And other things I am not sure I should talk about.  ;-)

Take care,
John