[ih] Internet History Project (was XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jul 25 19:36:15 PDT 2012

    > From: Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org>

    > The idea of projects to proactively capture recollections is a good
    > one. You would think that an entity such as The Internet .. would
    > attract the attention of not only technical museums, but also archives
    > and organizations capturing general human history.
    > Perhaps the Library of Congress (and other similar institutions) could
    > be motivated to launch an analogous "Internet History Project"?

The Charles Babbage Institute already has an extensive oral history program
in information technology:

  http://www.cbi.umn.edu/oh/

A number of names from networking stuff already appear in that list (Baran,
Cerf, SCrocker, Heart, Kahn, Kleinrock, Mills, Walden). I would probably try
and get them involved if you wanted to do a more extensive networking oral
history project; they know how to do this, to get the maximum historical
value.

	Noel