[ih] Internet History Project (was XEROX/PUP and Commercialization (was Re: FYI - Gordon Crovitz/WSJ on "Who Really Invented the Internet?")

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jul 25 18:16:33 PDT 2012

Yes, of course; I keep forgetting that diligent and accurate aren't
very popular any more.

The idea of projects to proactively capture recollections is a good
one.  You would think that an entity such as The Internet, which has
now touched a significant fraction of the population of the planet,
has altered governments, industries, and individuals lives, and is on
the tongues of everyone including heads of states, would attract the
attention of not only technical museums, but also archives and
organizations capturing general human history.  I think it's bigger
than just online panels and discussions.

Some of my relatives were interviewed years ago, to capture their
recollections of the events surrounding past wars they personally
experienced.  The US Library of Congress ran (and still runs) a
"Veterans History Project" to capture thoughts and experiences of
"people who were there" for use of future historians.  See
http://www.loc.gov/vets/

Perhaps the Library of Congress (and other similar institutions) could
be motivated to launch an analogous "Internet History Project"?    I'd
love to hear that announced in some campaign speech.  Wars aren't the
only thing worth remembering.

/Jack Haverty