[ih] Fwd: Before You Were Born: We Were Digitizing Texts

John Klensin jklensin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 07:45:45 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> but not before many here were born :)

Sigh.  Work on automatic indexing, classification, and content analysis of
digitized text goes back at least to the mid-1960s and I think much
earlier.  A five-minute search through my files showed up papers by
Edmunson, Lesk, Marcus, Matthews, Reintjes, Salton, Stone, Zimmerman, and
others.  I'm not an expert in the field so assume that there are _many_
others.

But perhaps that was before Ms. Johnston was born and therefore doesn't
count :-(

      john