[ih] Fwd: Before You Were Born: We Were Digitizing Texts

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:53:04 PST 2012

Sigh.  Work on automatic indexing, classification, and content analysis of
> digitized text goes back at least to the mid-1960s and I think much
> earlier.  A five-minute search through my files showed up papers by
> Edmunson, Lesk, Marcus, Matthews, Reintjes, Salton, Stone, Zimmerman, and
> others.  I'm not an expert in the field so assume that there are _many_
> others.

Yup. A good friend was in on the ground floor of the XML project because
 her  The Womens' Writers Project + Literary
Tagging Working Group (Brown) was transcribing and tagging female authors'
works in SGML on the Mainframe (accessible only by BITNET originally). That
project was started in 1988, so not total prehistory.
http://listserv.brown.edu/?A2=ind89&L=CHUG-L&D=0&P=3602 .
Much re-invention of the wheel here, and to insert a MAPhorism,
re-invention of the Travois as well, no doubt.

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com