[ih] Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Amelia A Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Sun Feb 13 22:11:39 PST 2011

A Unix application reports status zero for success.  Any other number
(not actually an infinite choice, alas, to undermine the analogy) is
failure.

It's not always true that there's only one right answer, in standards
work.  It's not a bad approximation, though.

It *is* always true, I think, that the folks who have committed their
energy and reputation to a "wrong" (less-optimal) answer are unlikely
to back down.  Saying "oh, I was wrong, and you were right," is ...
well, in specifications work, it's probably more unusual than the
annual recurrence of 1 April.  It's probably more common for someone to
abandon a position, adopting a new one, and indignantly rejecting any
suggestion that they ever advocated otherwise.  Still more common, in
my experience, is that the captain goes down with the ship.  "What
iceberg, dammit?"

I don't know that OSI and TCP/IP were that much in "competition,"
though.  The OSI stack was backed by a consortium and by governments,
and everyone knew it was gonna be better.  When it was finished, and
worked.  TCP/IP was just something that worked.

Eating what's set before you, solving the problems you face without
waiting to solve the problems that you think *will* be faced, seems to
be a recipe for getting food on the table by dinnertime.  It's likely
that it leads to problems, but the problems are gonna be defined by the
cook who produces something, not the one who plans a feast for
tomorrow.  Matter of having diners still living, or something.

That is, while OSI may have solved a number of thorny technical
problems in theory, it isn't clear that they were practical problems
that anyone was ever going to face.  TCP/IP addressed the practical
problems.  It created practical problems.  I don't know that these two
approaches are properly labeled as 'competition.'

--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
The less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine.