[ih] Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Feb 14 05:43:58 PST 2011

Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> I don't know that OSI and TCP/IP were that much in "competition,"
> though.  The OSI stack was backed by a consortium and by governments,
> and everyone knew it was gonna be better.  When it was finished, and
> worked.  TCP/IP was just something that worked.

I can relate to this comment.  I watched a lot of this from the
sidelines; I was at BBN from 1985-92, working on various aspects of the
ARPANET transition to the Defense Data Network - and dealing with some
of the hassles of reconciling policy with reality (remember the "dual
stack" policy; sort of like the Ada policy).

TCP/IP was developed bottom up - "rough consensus and running code" - by
academics and engineers.  OSI was an attempt to impose a classical,
top-down, standards approach - write the standard by committee, then fix
things later.  As I remember it, the only justification I ever heard for
OSI was a political one: "the Europeans will never accept a standard
developed by the US Dept. of Defense," and there was a lot of muscle put
behind OSI from the General Accounting Office (I never quite understood
the politics there).  From where I sat, the technical arguments about
how OSI solved a bunch of problems, came across as rationalizations from
people who spent their time sitting on standards bodies, rather than
building things.

Anyway, as I recall, the first European INTEROP came along, the OSI
folks were still saying "just wait, it will be great when we get there,"
and everyone else was blown away by the fact TCP/IP was working and
commercially available from multiple vendors.

Miles Fidelman