[ih] Very early days of the IANA

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Fri Apr 8 07:53:08 PDT 2011

Pointing out the earliest institutional reference to IANA in print is
problematic since RFC 1069 lists a publication date of February 1989,
while RFC 1083, though later in sequence, indicates publication in
December 1988 and refers to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, but
not the IANA acronym. Tedious stuff.

The Wikipedia entry does list one of the most important RFCs in that
history... RFC 349 from May 1972, which starts, "I propose that there be
a czar (me ?) who hands out official socket numbers for use by standard
protocols"

IN RFC 433 (December 1972) he confidently announces himself as "The czar
of socket numbers."

In practice, outright czarship gave way as Joyce Reynolds took on
greater responsibility, and that evidently happened well before the term
IANA appeared in print.

Craig Simon